August 2, 2013

My Everyday Featuring ... Bonnie Rush


[#1] Share with us a snippet of your story.
My story as Mrs. Rush began as a 19 year-old in love with a marine fighter pilot named Ed. He swept me off my feet and promptly moved us to the middle of nowhere. It was there where I finished half of nursing school, then quickly realized all I really wanted to do was have lots of babies, grow some food in my garden, and be in the kitchen all day, ready to throw my arms around my husband when he got home from work . Well, I wanted a little more than that but you get the idea. God blessed us with 1 pug and 3 kids over a few short (very short!) years. I couldn't imagine doing any other job than loving on my family every day. It gives me such joy, I could burst! I see now that I could have never been fulfilled as a nurse and I'm thankful that it was made clear to me what my purpose in life is. Adding homeschooling 2 years ago was an amazing addition to my life that I didn't plan for…at all. I love to learn new things, so handing information over to a little one and having them soak it up blows my mind! My job is to raise little humans to see their Creator in the world around them, understand His love, and find purpose with that vision. Pretty amazing job, right? Sure, being a Mom can be hard but, I know that my boys will eventually stop talking about farting all day, my daughter will learn to go to sleep before 10:30pm, and one day we will have a meal where nobody complains about it being "too spicy" when it never was to begin with.

[#2] What is your favorite part of the day with your little one[s]?
I'm with my kids pretty much all day, every day, but my favorite moments are when I take the time to listen to their funny stories. Actually, the kids wouldn't call them funny stories, but we won't tell them that. I love seeing the way they wave their arms in excitement when they are describing a scenario in detail. They usually don't notice when I ask sarcastic questions, which are always replied to with such intensity. Mostly, the stories tell me what's important to them.  The other night, while traveling away for the week, my husband got to listen to a 10 minute description from our daughter about what every chicken did that day. So hilarious and also sweet.

[#3] Name Instagram MOMS who inspire you.
Whew. This is so hard but I'm going to stick with the ones who inspire and encourage me in my everyday life because of the simple beauty they exude. Besides the always lovely @kristinrogers, whom I'm sure you guys all already follow...

@saraparsons I'm not biased because we both love chickens, I just kinda like her anyway. I think we'd be great friends if she didn't live on the cutest little island there ever was.

@nataliecreates She loves farming, fresh produce, happy things, and making things by hand.  What's not to love?

@mockabee7    Jodi is raising her kiddos with such love and care. Except for the fact that I don't live in a home in a gorgeous woodland area, I'd like to think we have a lot of similarities. She represents a lot of the values I hold dear.

[#4] What challenges have you faced in balancing motherhood and your passion for creativity?
This is not an area I find challenging in the way you might think. I have to stop myself from doing TOO many projects, as opposed to finding motivation and time to start any. Homeschooling gives us the freedom to take on all kinds of creative projects. I get to tailor the kiddos learning to fit what I love as well. Super Bonus for this Mom! However, the part I do find challenging is telling my kids they CAN'T help me with some of my projects. I've trained them to be hands-on which can severely backfire when you watch 3 kids take turns with the screwdriver while you attempt to find patience to even finish the project at all! I do spend my late nights creating with fabric, paper, or words on my blog," http://www.agoldenafternoon.com/ I've always been a night owl, so I come alive and get a lot done when everyone else is sleeping!

[#5] What is a family tradition that you love sharing with your kids?
Family dinners are important to us. We have to fight to keep them! The tradition of a meal made from scratch every night is quickly dying. Baseball won't always be there, but your family will. I want my kids to know that some of the most important conversations in life can happen around the dinner table. I want us to really know each other, not just act like neighbors who might wave "hello" in passing. I also want them to enjoy good food and the gift that it is.

[#6] If you could give us a peek inside your home - what image would you share and why?
My kitchen is where the party's at. Literally, we do have a lot of parties here with our friends and family. We cook almost every meal at home so we are in here a LOT. Right now, I'm loving the stage my 8 year-old daughter is in. She is pretty much game to learn anything in the kitchen. I can't teach her fast enough. I want so much for her to cook deliciously fresh food for her future husband and family, not because she will fulfill a stereotype, but for her to have a taste of the joy I experience every day in the home. Plus, she will be a much better cook than I am so I can reap the benefits when I'm older. Ha!

[#7] Share a photo you wouldn't typically post on Instagram but depicts real life happenings.
There isn't a lot I won't post. The only reason I wouldn't post this is because of lighting and blurriness, but it captures EXACTLY what any outing will look like on any given day. Having two boys almost 18 months apart means they will drop to the ground to wrestle at any moment. I texted this Home Depot picture to my husband who was out-of-town. I was explaining how I will never understand boys...ever.

Be sure and follow @agoldenafternoon on Instagram! You can also keep up with the series by following @kelliandvanessa or #myeverydaymoms

0 comments:

Post a Comment