June 13, 2012

The Power of Words

I am a joyful person, I know this. If you know me.....you know this. I like this about me. I make no apologies for this trait of mine.

I surround myself with positive people. I am drawn to the dreamers and the believers.

This mindset has been super important to me, especially during this season of pregnancy. I was scared out of my mind when I read the + sign on the pregnancy test. Fear gripped me almost immediately and it's been a process for me ever since. At the same time.....I LOVE BABIES and have always dreamed of being a mom.

My nephew & I in 2009. Taken by my sister Melissa. 

My pregnancy has been nothing short of amazing. I mean, perfection! I couldn't have dreamt up a better 8 months for my life. This is quite different than what I had expected.....and I believe this is due to the media, movies and women who love to share their horror stories about their own pregnancies. Now, don't get all crazy on me.....I am a firm believer of the power of our stories, but I have experienced first-hand the "advice" that often gets thrown around and was never asked for or welcomed.

Did you know that fear releases over 1400 chemical responses to the body, and that non of them are good ones? Fear is actually the NUMBER ONE REASON FOR PAIN DURING CHILDBIRTH. This is the very reason I have stopped women [and men]...in mid-sentence when I sense a horror story coming on. Again, I respect everyone's life story....but someone elses past is not my future and I have made a conscience decision to guard my heart and mind in this sweet-sweet season of new life! [thank you Christa Black for this statistic and goldmine of information!]

Our words bring about life or death. It's simple. We are either negative or positive.....and I choose positivity. Life is just way too short to entertain any other way way of living. This goes for pregnancy and just life here on this earth in general....

I am 3 weeks away [give or take] from holding our very first baby in my arms. I still can't wrap my mind around this.....and I don't think it will even sink in until the moment I hear his cry, see his face and just squeeze him so tightly!! Oh....and maybe at that point we'll land on a name for him too!

Well, here's to my first segment of MOM MUSINGS.....I like this corner and hope you are encouraged by it as well.

xoxo, kelli

6 comments:

  1. Love, love this post!!! You are amazing with your words and I know that everyone of them are from your heart! Thank you for sharing and pray that this speaks to so many other mom's and mom's to be, out there!

    Love you, Charis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Kelli!

    I've been so worried about the horror stories...and I really want to surround myself with positivity.

    I've also encountered a lot of "just wait...they'll be teenagers and then you'll regret it!" I have such a hard time with this type of comment...I want to enjoy EACH season - and yes, parenthood will have it's challenges...but what more of a privilege and honor can God give a woman than to be a mother? Anyway...end of rant.

    Glad I have you in my life! Thanks for being so positive and encouraging. Praying for you as you are in the 'home stretch!' Baby T is going to be the cutest little chap ever imagined!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know how you go about stopping someone mid sentence from their horror stories! I feel like that would be something I'd want to do but wouldn't know how to say in a gracious way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question....and at first I felt awkward doing so, but then WHY was I allowing myself to feel mean, rude or inconsiderate when actually the storytellers are the ones who are intruding in my space?!? I pretty much interrupt and say...."hey!!!! i've heard my share of pregnancy stories and my experience has been pretty incredible so far and I'm believing my delivery will be the same. I can't listen to anymore negative or scary stories." People have completely backed off after that.....Im sure they feel awkward, but honestly...they should! Especially if they input was never welcomed in the first place!

      Delete
  4. AMEN! And sooo true. Thank you for speaking on this! Our words can either give life or take away from it.

    Super excited for you, I could cry... It's amazing and wonderful to be a mum!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelli,

    I actually don't 'know' you although I do go to Fresh Life, have heard your name, eaten yogurt at your store, and I think we may have even been on the NVH hospital tour together! (Small world!)

    I too am expecting my first child in July (currently at 36 weeks) and I couldn't agree more on the power of words during a pregnancy. I applaud you for politely cutting people off during their horror stories. I've tried to politely remind those who want to pity my swollen ankles (because they had swollen feet too), or who want to encourage me to complain about my exhaustion (because they were so tired), or my stretch marks (because they had awful ones), that I feel very blessed to be pregnant. I feel fortunate to have had a relatively easy pregnancy and quite honestly just to be pregnant at all . . . there are so many women who would love to be our shoes. I think it's all about attitude. :)

    Am I nervous about labor? Sure. Am I scared? Not really. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

    ReplyDelete