December 1, 2013

My Everyday featuring ... Christine Pobke

 photo CHRISTINEPOBKE_zps204dd6a6.jpg
[#1] Share with us a snippet of your story.
First of all, it has to be said that i'm a huge fan and follower of this series. It's truly an honour to be amongst the moms who've been interviewed before me - what a wonderfully empowering community this is! Go moms! :)

I was born in Korea, raised in the pacific northwest (my family call Seattle home), and now call Australia home. :) I met my aussie husband in a small village in Japan just after graduating from uni (whitman college in quaint walla walla, washington). We were both there teaching english through the JET programme, and fell head over heels in love. Fast forward ten years and here we are in Canberra, married for over five years, and now a family of three (with our 18 month old baby girl, Pippa). 

I'm a self-taught photographer but have a background ranging in advertising, marketing, sales, academia (i was doing my phd in politics before I quit to become a full time photographer!), art, teaching... the list could go on and on. I always thought I would float from job to job until the day I retired, but somehow photography landed on my lap and I haven't been able to let go of it yet. 

With Pippa, our life has taken on a whole new meaning. I look at her every day with hope, wonder, amazement and love. She inspires me to be a better mother; better wife; better human being. What a blessing children are! 

[#2] What is your favorite part of the day with your little one[s]?
My favorite part of the day has to be our late afternoons together. She gets up from her nap between 2:30 and 3pm, so as soon as she's up, we're outside in our backyard, feeding our plants, painting and drawing, and having afternoon tea together. Pippa loves the outdoors and nature, and is forever wanting to lay on the grass, smell the flowers, water her garden, or paint the trees (incidentally, one of her first words is "outside"). Now that it's spring and getting so warm, afternoons are the best for lounging around and filling up on our vitamin d together. 

[#3] Name Three Instagram MOMS who inspire you.
Gosh. Three instagram moms? That's it? That's gotta be a tough one. I don't think i can stop at three, as most of the people I follow on instagram are amazing mothers that I look up to!! I'll try to make this short... 

@haileybe: one of my dear friends who inspires me on a daily basis. She and her equally inspiring husband @surfistatomato "unschool" their two amazingly talented daughters - if Pippa turned out to be half as clever as their girls, I would be incredibly proud! 

@Sheye_rosemeyer: we both shared our pregnancies with each other at the earliest possible stage - that's how special she is to me! :) She's a mother of six, runs several businesses, lives in two continents, and is a darling friend. How she does it all, no one knows. but i'm hoping I can vicariously gain some multitasking skills from her.

@lyndzeeeeee: probably my most stylish friend and she doesn't go broke doing it! If I had one power in life, it would be lyndzee's gift of thrifting in style! Plus she's an amazing mom of three littlies, follows her heart and her dreams, and pulls off amazing red lipstick.  

@jess_cudzilo: Jess is one of those girls who I knew would be an immediate friend... and if we lived in the same city, I'd want to hang out with her every day and become BFFs with her. She's warm, kind, honest and caring. Who doesn't wanna have a BFF with those characteristics??!
[#4] What challenges have you faced in balancing motherhood and your passion for creativity?
Motherhood is such a journey, I've learned. The relationship you cultivate with your child is so different at each stage of development: one minute you're nursing every few hours and then suddenly you're drinking coffee while they run around exploring their freedom. To me, the balance will always be skewed in one way or another: I don't think I'll ever get to the stage where I think I've finally achieved a perfect daily balance with both. And I kinda like that. The biggest challenge has been learning that motherhood and creativity is a work in progress, as well as a work in tandem! Learning to accept this has been a big "aha!" moment for me. 

[#5] What is a family tradition that you love sharing with your kids?
Pippa hasn't been around long enough for us to have new family traditions together, but one thing we've loved doing so far is going away to the coast for christmas. It's so nice being able to spend time at a beach house, swim in the ocean, and just feel like we're on some far away remote island! 

[#6] If you could give us a peek inside your home - what image would you share and why?
I'm sharing our living room because that's where we spend the most amount of time together as a family. Clint (my husband) loves playing the guitar for Pippa, reading her stories (and doing voices as well as making up his own storyline), and she spends hours rolling around on the floor (or on us), while singing songs and making a crazy mess. Plus the wall has images of all of our adventures together, and it's such a daily reminder to live in the moment and make every day count in its own special way.
[#7] Share a photo you wouldn't typically post on Instagram but depicts real life happenings.
This is us in the mornings. Me fast asleep (as clint has ''morning duty" before he heads off to work). :) I wake up when she's up at around 7:30, but quickly get to snooze for another 45 min before hubby heads off to work... the two of them read together every morning, and it's about the only time pippa is ever really cuddly (or still). :) I suppose this isn't something I'd ever instagram as (a) I'm sleeping when this happens, and (b) I look a fright! :) Luckily for us, we had some friends staying over who graciously photographed us together as a family, and this is one of her lovely shots (tealily photography). 


Be sure and follow @pobke on Instagram! You can also keep up with the series by following @kelliandvanessa or #myeverydaymoms

0 comments:

Post a Comment