November 11, 2013

My Everyday Featuring ... Katy Kristin


[#1] Share with us a snippet of your story.
I was born and raised in northern California. My parents taught me at a really young age what a life lived for Jesus looks like & I am forever grateful for their example. I met my husband Scott in college. We lived next door to each other for several years but didn't end up dating until we were out of college. We got married in 2005 and moved to a little town in central California where we knew no one. In April, we will celebrate our ninth anniversary. In those nine years, we have made lots of mistakes but we have seen much redemption and restoration. He is my very best friend, my better half & my rock. We have two little kids. Miles is 3 and Camden Jane is 1. My family is my biggest joy in life. There is no one else I'd rather spend my time with. I'm a stay at home mom and an etsy shop owner. I sort of have my hands full. :) I am a lot more introverted than people think I am; I crave alone time and peace & quiet. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, you can find me curled up with a blanket & twinkle lights, a cup of coffee with vanilla creamer, and a fantastic book. I love to write, to read, to create, decorate, design, laugh, and make others laugh too. I am never the life of the party, but I always like to have fun. I love to dream a big dream.

[#2] What is your favorite part of the day with your little one[s]?
Right after naps, both of my kids are still waking up and life is still quiet and calm. Miles is probably a little bit grumpy & Camden just wants to be held. So we will go sit on the couch and I will hold both of them close while they wake up. Sometimes they want to read, sometimes they want to chat, sometimes they just want to watch Curious George. But I love this time because it won't last forever. In fact, I'm sure it will come to an end before I know it. So I smell their hair, and I feel them breathing, I hold their hands, and I pray for them. I pray for myself as I navigate how to parent them better. The moments are always over too soon for me. Soon, they jump off my lap and start playing with blocks and chasing each other down the hall. But I savor the closeness for those few minutes every day. 

[#3] Name Three Instagram MOMS who inspire you.
There are a lot of ladies that I would choose but since I am limited to three, I am going to choose @keepupwithjj / @life_made_lovely / @jessmcclenahan. Each of these moms have overcome something in their life as a mother & I am humbled by their stories. I love how each of them are real & honest & love the Lord. I would like to be the kind of mom that they are someday.

[#4] What challenges have you faced in balancing motherhood and your passion for creativity?
Well, since I am the mom of two very busy little children and a busy etsy shop, I have to be really careful with my time. I made a commitment when I opened my shop that I would never work when my kids are awake. My computer is in the office in the back of the house and I choose to be present with my kids (or else who knows what could happen out there!). Through this journey, I have learned that I just can't do it all. It has been good for me to learn that my family comes first no matter what. Sometimes I have to say no to something I really would have enjoyed designing. I have never regretted saying no to an order to spend more time with my children.

[#5] What is a family tradition that you love sharing with your kids?
Usually between 4:30 and 6 is rough for me. I am exhausted and my kids are bored. Ha! All of us want Scott to walk through the door. So when dinner is over and we are calming down for bedtime, a few nights a week, we will go out to a field nearby and watch the sunset. Miles asks to watch it several times a week now. And it is a really good way to reflect on the day. Lots of times, I have to ask for forgiveness. (I make a lot of mistakes as a mom.) Lots of times, we have to leave early because someone is crying. But every time, I am reminded of God's beauty and the season he has me in right now. And every once in awhile, Scott takes us all out for ice cream. Those nights are the best. ;) I made a commitment to myself that for the year of 2013, I would post one picture a day of a moment I found beauty in. I have missed one day. I don't regret missing it. That is life. But I decided that even if it is the ugliest day, the sunset is still beautiful. So if you see me posting a sunset on Instagram, you know that I am sitting there with my family probably listening to a Mickey Mouse cd, singing along to it, and striving to finish off the day on the best possible note. 

[#6] If you could give us a peek inside your home - what image would you share and why?
We spend almost all of our time in our family room and kitchen area. It is sort of the hub of our home. So I would share this picture of my kids reading together in the living room. And also, this picture of them playing the piano together. This is where the life of our family is.


[#7] Share a photo you wouldn't typically post on Instagram but depicts real life happenings.
A picture I wouldn't share on Instagram would be this picture of my kids laying together on the floor. It is beyond blurry and is so very grainy. There are toys all over the place and there is just so much wrong with it. But more than anything else, I see such a sweet relationship between the two of them. I am working so hard to teach my kids that they are each other's very best friend no matter what. And I feel like in this very blurry and grainy picture, that friendship is very evident. 

Be sure and follow @katykristin on Instagram! You can also keep up with the series by following @kelliandvanessa or #myeverydaymoms

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story, what a beautiful family!

    Love from Germany:
    http://lasagnolove.blogspot.de/2013/11/bee-week-i.html

    Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this, love her!! thanks for sharing these:):)

    ReplyDelete