January 30, 2014

My Everyday Featuring ... Allison Trowbridge

[photo by Jenny Haas]

[#1] Share with us a snippet of your story.
Hello! My name is Allison and I am a wife, mama and homemaker. My husband and I fell in love when we were 16 and here we are 11 years later, still loving and fighting, laughing and crying, and living this crazy and wonderful life together. We have two children: Luca (5) and Adele (3). We live humbly and serve a very extraordinary God, who has blessed us with so much more beauty and grace than we deserve.
I am a once-upon-a-time English major, turned mama. Once our Luca was born (two weeks before my and Adam's first wedding anniversary), I couldn't bring myself to go back to school and finish my last five quarters; I knew my place was at home, with my baby, and it was with the support of my husband and family that I made the decision to stay home and raise our little one. Those first three years of marriage and mamahood (and home renovations on our 150+ year old house) were a whirlwind, filled with all the bittersweetness imaginable. When Luca was three years old, six months after our darling, Adele, came along, he was diagnosed with Autism.
For me, this is where my story began, where our story began. I've felt more heartbreak, more love, and so much more hope in the last two and a half years than I ever thought possible.
And this story that's being written, it is a beautiful one.
[#2] What is your favorite part of the day with your little one[s]?
My favorite part of the day is in the morning, especially these late fall mornings when it is still dark and cold outside. I like to kick on the furnace, turn on the twinkle lights in the living room, brew a hot cup of coffee and lay with Luca and Adele under a chunky afghan while they drink their chocolate milk and we talk about our dreams from last night and our plans for the day. These early mornings are those treasured memories that I will take to heaven with me one day.

[#3] Name Three Instagram MOMS who inspire you.
Their love for their children and their art of creating- be it their homes, photography or anything else their imaginations conjure up- it's inspiring to say the least. I wish the world were filled to the brim with people like these women.

[#4] What challenges have you faced in balancing motherhood and your passion for creativity?
This title, this role of "homemaker," is one that I take very seriously, and I am so honored to be able to stay home each day with my children, to build my home and make it a safe haven for myself and my family- with that being said, some days, I don't feel like making beds, putting laundry away, doing dishes, sweeping floors and making meals. Some days, I just want to play; some days, I just want to write or go out for a drive into the middle of nowehere with my Nikon and shoot God's beauty. But, alas, my responsibility is to my home, to my family- they keep me grounded.
[#5] What is a family tradition that you love sharing with your kids?
Each day we have tiny traditions- eating dinner together, welcoming Adam home with hugs and kisses when he walks in the door from a long day at work, bedtime prayers- and I am so thankful for those. My favorite big tradition though, is going to the Christmas tree farm a town away and cutting down our tree in December. My heart warms just thinking of this. It's one of those moments that I cling onto while it's happening, taking in the sights, smells, feeling in my chest... it's a tradition that neither my husband or I had as children, so it's ours- our little family of four, cutting down our Christmas tree.

[#6] If you could give us a peek inside your home - what image would you share and why?
At any given time, there is a candle lit, some twinkle lights on, the dishwasher running and a record player spinning. Adele, she's our dancer. And I'm a firm believer in the fact that turning on a record player is just as important as reading fairytales; we like to do both in our home :)

[#7] Share a photo you wouldn't typically post on Instagram but depicts real life happenings.
Luca and Adele, just hanging out in their underwear with angry bird band-aids on, painting a mess in the kitchen. And although I don't have the picture on my camera roll anymore, I took one the other night and sent it to a good friend of mine, who claims that my house in never messy- there were dirty dishes and clothes thrown throughout the kitchen and laundry room, homework and watercolor paint covering the kitchen table- and come to think of it, Luca and Adele were running around naked! Most days, I am a very ordinary mama, just doing her best to keep her head above water, trying to piece together frazzled ends and savor the sweetness between the chaos.


Be sure and follow @lucadele on Instagram! You can also keep up with the series by following @kelliandvanessa or #myeverydaymoms

0 comments:

Post a Comment