January 21, 2014

My Everyday Featuring ... Megan Modderman


[#1] Share with us a snippet of your story.
am my story, so a "snippet" of me must start with the fact that I'm a big ol' mess redeemed by His grace. I'm a mixed bag of likes & dislikes, gifts & weaknesses. Some weaknesses include an undying love of mashed potatoes with butter, flips flop wearing even when the snow flies, way too much espresso consumption on a daily basis, and cookie dough licking. Hmmm, I may have food issues.  

Anyhow, some things that make me happy are (my family, of course, but we'll get to that in a minute) warm sand between my toes, michigan's for 3 seasons of the year and florida's during the winter, sunshine (duh), hunting thrift store treasure, the smell of burning leaves, busy hands, long road trips and traveling the world, triple creme brie with raspberries, being known, country AND city, learning new things. Honestly, I could go on & on & on but I'll spare you the novel.


I'm full of discrepancies. I'm laid-back when i'm not being a control freak. I'm positive when I'm not being cynical. I'm an introvert who needs to be alone when I'm not getting the call to come over to your house. I mess up daily but am unspeakably grateful that His mercies are new every morning.

My husband likes to say that I chased him but I was really his catch. At 16. In the church youth group. 5 years later we were married and now it's been 16 years of traveling life's road together, raising the three awesome children God blessed us with. My dream was always & forever to be able to stay home with them and thankfully, that's what I get to do. To use other gifts God gave me and also bring home some bacon, I work as an on-call florist and own a small business selling vintage & handmade on etsy (www.etsy.com/shop/sparrowmercantile) and instagram (@sparrowmercantile).
[#2] What is your favorite part of the day with your little one[s]?
I don't think I have just one favorite part of the day with the kids. It's different all the time! I will say that this is the first year I am not homeschooling all three of them. Two are going out of the home for school. What I've realized those two are missing out on the most is laying on a quilt in the grass with me reading aloud from a favorite book. Preferably something by laura ingalls wilder. Or curling up under afghans drinking hot chocolate with me (again) reading aloud.  

Another favorite time is when we sit down to eat dinner. Usually to a meal that's been brewing in the kitchen for a couple of hours so the anticipation is high & the kitchen smells are mouth-watering. I love being able to sit down (finally) and enjoy tastes and conversation with each other.


[#3] Name Three Instagram MOMS who inspire you.
Only THREE ig "moms that inspire me"? That's just cruel & unusual. It literally pains me to be limited in who i can mention! Every person I follow enriches my life in a different way. It could be that I connect with their lifestyle, or admire how they live out their faith, or I appreciate their authenticity & humor. I've met so many women through this crazy thing called technology. Friendships that are real and true. Some women that have been mentioned here already and some others that may not have been...beautiful, Christ-following, creative dear-to-my-heart mamas like @leslie_padgett & @the_reed_life, @tweetpotatopie & @farmgirlpaints, @redletterwords & @mindypeterson, @aimeek73 & @birchmama
p.s. #youshouldknowthisaboutme: I'm a rule breaker.


[#4] What challenges have you faced in balancing motherhood and your passion for creativity?
I AM passionate about creativity. Aren't we ALL considering we were made in the image of our Creator God? I need it. I'm made for it. It's chiseled deep into my core. The need to MAKE. My hands are always busy with some sort of project. Some new idea I'm trying to move into real life from my brain.  Do I have the luxury of sitting at an easel for 6 straight hours brushing paint onto a canvas? No, of course not during this season of life. The season when there are children needing me to be present. It hurts a bit, the wanting to create for ME, but the fact that these precious children will be grown & gone all too soon is never far from my mind. Nurturing that same desire in the kids helps to satisfy some of that desire in me, as well.


[#5] What is a family tradition that you love sharing with your kids?
Traditions make me feel all warm and cozy inside. Because they foster a strong family bond, I'm always thinking that we should be coming up with more traditions to start. There are the obvious holiday related ones like cutting down the Christmas tree, wagon ride, toasting marshmallows, saw and all. The observing of advent and Christmas morning stockings before monkey bread, grapefruit, and then the gifts. 

But I think everyday moments can be considered traditions, as well. Moments that are repeated & looked forward to like licking the cookie dough off the beater (as I, ahem, may have mentioned earlier) and reading a story at bedtime. Even kissing hello & goodbye is tradition.  (and here is where I insert yet another kissing photo in the hopes that my children will see and be grossed out.)
Photo by // @mindypeterson // 

[#6] If you could give us a peek inside your home - what image would you share and why?
I guess I'll stick to the rule this time and only show *one* room of my house. It's the one in front of me basically all day every day as I wear a path in my kitchen. I swear I spend 85% of my day in the kitchen. We love the open layout which enables me to be part of what's going on in the living room. On a good day, board games, legos, homework, reading, creating, eating. On a bad day, squabbling amongst the natives.
[#7] Share a photo you wouldn't typically post on Instagram but depicts real life happenings.
My "real life happenings" photo that I wouldn't typically share on instagram is lame because I think I probably DID share this. (see #rulebreaker above). The real life is the messy, unmade bed with a gigantic, much-adored goldendoodle staking her (sleepy) claim and a boy doing his schoolwork.
That pretty much sums us up, the messy beautiful. :)
Be sure and follow @contentedsparrow on Instagram! You can also keep up with the series by following @kelliandvanessa or #myeverydaymoms


0 comments:

Post a Comment