February 6, 2013

My everyday featuring ... Sarah Richmond



[#1] Share with us a snippet of your story. 
Hi, my name is Sarah Richmond, or in the Instagram world, aVeryStory. Beyond my role as “Mama,” I am a photographer and sometimes writer. My husband and I live with our three kids (the minis), ages 7, 4 and 1, just outside of Franklin, Tennessee on about five acres of what we’ve taken to calling Wonder Grove.
In 2010 we began the process to adopt our third child, but somewhere along the way in that adventure our quiet adoption story grew into a community of lovely people all praying for one baby girl to come home. That experience and writing about it on a simple little adoption blog we had set up, opened my eyes to the universality of suffering and the Hope of God's promises.  
My typical everyday is spent attempting to navigate the uncertain and often frightening waters of motherhood, all the while learning more about myself and about Jesus than I could ever hope to teach my babies. 


[#2] What is your favorite part of the day with your little one[s]?
My answer here probably changes with seasons depending on when school is in session, but right now I have to say evenings are my favorite. There is a great wave of redemptive connection that happens when I tuck a child in and no matter the day we have shared, devour their cheeks with kisses and tickle away any remaining grievances. There is an air at bedtime, as the dust settles on each day, reminding us we are in this crazy life together and how we are actually in fact madly in love with each other.

[#3] Name Three Instagram MOMS who inspire you.
@mandylynnephoto /  @madelinebea /  @vwcphotography

[4] What challenges have you faced in balancing motherhood and your passion for creativity?
Personally, the tension most often comes down to identity and intention. When my soul is in line with who I was uniquely created to be in this season, for this day, there is an ease to my creativity within the boundaries of motherhood. I learn to be inspired by my circumstances rather than depleted by them. On the flip if I begin to draw identity from less than honest and authentic places, the creative process becomes arduous and burdensome. I can fall into habits of using the creativity as distraction, avoidance or even grosser- affirmation from others. Ewww. That leaves me uninspired and frustrated trying to balance motherhood without losing myself amidst diapers, legos and laundry. Bottom line: If my intentions are off as to why I am creating, the balance goes wonky, and a life (and home) out of balance –gets ugly and quick.


[#5] What are your staple go-to pieces from your closet this month?
Sadly – my wardrobe has seen far more inspired days. I had bangs cut in my hair over a year ago and have been riding that style high ever since, it’s pathetic ladies, truly. Wardrobe wise my go-tos are skinny jeans in grey or dark rinse, tanks with cardigans and boots. If I’m getting creative, I throw on a necklace. I don’t think I’ve worn earrings since the 90s – I know. I should really consider resurrecting earrings for 2013. I do honestly love fashion, but my life function at the moment has very little need nor room for anything labeled “dry clean only.”



[#6] If you could give us a peek inside your home - what image would you share and why?
We have been dreaming of a quieter, slower pace of life for several years and were able to make the move from suburbs to country life just a couple of months ago.  We spend a lot of time at home by design, so many of my instagrams are taken somewhere on our property. Most often I like to share the shots of the outside, because A). its gorgeous and the reason we bought this place and B). The interior of our home is being overhauled room by room, and having only moved here in November, well, we have a ways to go we’ll say. I have yet to really complete one room to where it fully represents us, so my peeks for now will be lots and lots of before and afters. 


Be sure and follow @averystory on Instagram! You can also keep up with the series by following @kelliandvanessa or #myeverydaymoms

1 comments:

  1. I've always thought of Sarah as an inspiration. A beautiful mama with a beautiful spirit. Love this feature. Glad to stumble upon it today!!

    ReplyDelete