May 10, 2013

My Everyday / Creator Series ... Alana Little of Make Pie Not War


[#1.] When did you launch "Make Pie Not War" and what prompted you to start your own business?
I started Make Pie Not War in 2007 after I quit my job as a corporate accountant. (boring…) My husband was on tour with his clothing line, and I was going to die of boredom. Hence, MPNW was born! I had been making jewelry on and off since I was a kid, so it was a natural hobby turned serious! We’ve been here for almost six years now!

[#2.] What tool/marketing strategy has helped you the most in regards to getting your business noticed?
The best marketing tool has been Etsy for me actually. They have a strong and vast reach. Just find what works for you and do that! It’s hard to find your niche, but when you do, it’s the best! Ours is just keeping it personal, down to earth yet current with a great price point! Don’t be afraid to connect with your customer.


[#3.] Share with us a few of your tips for balancing motherhood and business.
Balancing kids and business is a tight rope walk, but it’s the best. Learn to set boundaries for both sides. I hired someone to come in and help me with things around the house, mail packages, etc. She has been the best money spent so I’m not the cranky mom trying to be superwoman! You can only keep that up for a little while, we’re human ladies!!! My last piece of advice is for the moments when you’re down the wire and you feel like giving up or just wanting to pull out your eyelashes: remember why you’re doing this. For me, it’s to provide for my family. I feel incredibly lucky to be able to do this and be successful enough to take care of my family financially. Find your motivation and remember it.

[#4.] Divulge one of your dreams for your business.
My dream for my business is to keep going forward and upward. I find myself doing that and I’m able to be at home with my feisty tot, Lucy. I’m livin’ the dream! Honestly, I have been given so much that my real dream is to hire people, help people get real jobs, grow larger and buy my mom a house (ok, pay ours off first and then my mom next…lol).

[#5.]What advice do you have for moms who have a creative dream in their heart and desire to start their own business from home?
My advice is go for it! Once the dollars start coming in, you’ll get addicted to being successful! Find what you’re good at and thrive in that! Remember to make/create/serve something that people want not necessarily something you want. What I like and my customers like many times are two different things. It’s a hard pill to swallow, but know we’re here to service our customers and not ourselves! Get ready for a long crazy rollercoaster ride called being self-employed. Most importantly: have faith.
[#6.]Share with us a peek of your working space.
My work space is separated into three: my office, my workbenches where I metalsmith, and my table where I get the assembly line going! I like that I am in different rooms otherwise I don’t know if I could get so much done… I get bored easily!


[#7] Name three mompreneurs who inspire you.  
Looking at all these super crazy rad chicks, I’m feeling not so cool… (lol). I love Lara Casey [@laraacasey]. Holy crap balls, her house is crazy rad! I need to get on the Lara Casey interior design band wagon. I love Nicole Gonzalez [@bluumbabygirl]. I think Bluum is such an amazing idea. I have seen her around the internet pop up here and there and I hope she blows up! And Sarah Richmond [@averystory], wow. How sweet is the story of her family. I have a heart for adoption and it just really makes my heart happy to hear of children finding parents that really love them.

/// DISCOUNT CODE:: kellivanessa gives you 15% off your entire order from today through May, 30th! www.makepie.net

Be sure and follow @makepie on Instagram! You can also keep up with the series by following @kelliandvanessa or #myeverydaymoms 

0 comments:

Post a Comment